Product Catalog The Complete Guide Free Materials Tools for Trading
join-popup-image

Receive all the latest news from Wyckoff Analytics! Weekly notifications about upcoming events, as well as market updates, newly posted articles and videos, delivered straight to your inbox.

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: Wyckoff Associates, LLC, 5432 Geary Blvd, #292, San Francisco, CA, 94121, http://wyckoffanalytics.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact

Wyckoff Analytics is committed to protecting your privacy. We do not sell, lease or otherwise provide your personal information to anyone, ever. You can unsubscribe at any time from this list.

Henry O. Pruden Certificate
of Proficiency in the Wyckoff Method
Please complete the information below
And let us know what classes you have taken:
5 MANDATORY COURSES
3 ELECTIVE COURSES
Wyckoff Market Discussion (3+ months) - Use Once
A Detailed Look Into Springboards
Back-Testing/Validating Trading Plan (2017)
Beyond Springs And Upthrusts
Improving Your Wyckoff Swing Trading Results
Intraday Trading Using The Wyckoff Method
Long-Term Campaigns and Tactical Swing Trades
Momentum, Volume And Price Structure
Point-and-Figure Part III
Practices For Successful Trading
Scan For Success Part 1
Scan For Success Part 2
Swing Trading Using The Wyckoff Method
Trading Technical Analysis Signals
Trust the Process Part 1
Trust the Process Part 2
Upgrading Your Trading Plan (2018)
Scan For Success Part 1
Scan For Success Part 2
Trust the Process Part 1
Trust the Process Part 2
Scan For Success Part 1
Scan For Success Part 2
Trust the Process Part 1
Trust the Process Part 2
SUCCESS
Your information has been submitted

DISCUSS YOUR CHARTS, ANALYSIS AND TRADING

Be an active member of Wyckoff Nation! Post your chart analysis – past, present or future trades; or post about trading setups or process in general. Discuss Wyckoff related questions with your peers. Make a post and engage with your fellow Wyckoffians!!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
  • This topic has 273 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 1 week, 1 day ago by skoutasg.
Viewing 51 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Frantz Herr

Oil testing axis line support on diminishing Supply…

Z1839
        Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Sorry if this is an elementary question, but is the diminishing supply indicated by the falling volume ?</p>
        I tend to get too caught up in the volume bar colors and think that the red volume bars coorelate with supply

skoutasg
          Participant

Z1839:  The chart which you reference connotes falling volume or in Wyckoffian terms falling supply.  The latter can give cause to rising prices.  Although I am no expert, it is the trend of price and or volume which is the important factor in Wyckoffian logic, not the action of the individual bars.   IMHO.

Frantz Herr

Frantz Herr

Craig
        Participant

Frantz,

It seems to me that this graph is a good example of the A-T-C (Action-Test-Confirm) test.  In this case there was no confirmation and the stock price subsequently dropped.  What do you think?

Cheers, Craig

Frantz Herr

Craig, are you referring to the chart of $DWCF?  When I posted it I was thinking about how the TR might evolve, and whether the Supply that came in on the UA/UT was meaningful?  So far it looks to me like absorption may be occurring.  Frantz       

skoutasg
      Participant

No one has posted all week, so I thought I’d attempt to get the juices flowing.  Attached our old-friend the Dow Future Chart in Intraday mode.  Is the index in Distribution or Reaccumulation mode?  To date, it appears price may head up or will it?  If up, we are looking at Phase C of a reaccumulation, which becomes the launch point for the next measured move up.  If price reverses into a phase D, then we may identify the TR as a Distribution structure.  Notwithstanding our enthusiasm for another measured move up is our knowledge that the Index is dangerously close to overvaluation, which I estimate at a price of $30,725 ($27,632 being a target price).  I wish Mr. Market had not recovered so fast from its March low.  Like most of you, I have many stocks still in recovery mode from the March beat-down so a Distribution in the Index in the coming weeks will not be a welcome site.,

Attachments:
        jonthan
        Participant

Hello, I am extremely new to the wyckoff method but have been reading and watching everything i can on the topic. My question is how useful are these patterns in the Forex marke? I haven’t been profitable scalping fx lately and im hoping to change that the more i learn technical patterns, thanks for any responses!

skoutasg
          Participant

Personally, I only apply Wyckoffian logic, not technical analysis patterns as the smart money can use these to wreck your trade, i.e. your effort at scalping.  I think you can trade short-term using Wyckoff because with every action there is a reaction.  To me, the judicious application of Wyckoff is buying at the bottom and selling at the top. However, it can be used for playing short-term moves.  Is the Wyckoff method applicable to forex, yes it is, the same principals apply.  You may enjoy the courses offered on this site.

Frantz Herr

skout, nice chart and analysis.  Question for you (and others) – when I drop to a lower time frame and I see structures like you are showing here, do I relate the time it might take the move to unfold to this time frame?  If it’s weeks I would expect the move to unfold over weeks, days over days, hours over hours, etc?  The reason I ask is that I sometimes find myself forgetting the time unit I am observing and imagine the move unfolding on a different scale.  Traveling to a different dimension!

skoutasg
          Participant

Frantz:  Here’s a graphic illustration of your question.  It’s an excellent one.  When do we enter?  Intraday signals yes, the weekly no, as price has not yet exited the TR.  Do we wait for the latter to happen or pounce now?  Let’s let the readership answer.  Also, please answer yourself.  Best.

Frantz Herr

Here’s a chart I borrowed from the poster Dario Colo on Twitter.  XJO – a picturesque Wyckoff accumulation, at the 15 minute time frame…

skoutasg
              Participant

Hello:  Anyone home?

Frantz Herr

Craig
        Participant

Frantz, This seems pretty obvious to me (see PDF).  Had to pull a financial sheet for this company.  Qtrly Revenue & Earnings Growth says it all.  It says that the company is not economic at present.  If they can weather the current price storm they may live to fight another day.  My observation is to expect a price drop at the hinge point.  We shall see and I may have to eat my hat!  Cheers  Craig

Frantz Herr

Thanks Craig!  The apex/hinge and resistance line on your chart sum up my views as well.  The rally from the March lows has been weak, and that March 9 high volume down bar needs to be overcome for a bullish interpretation.  So far not happening.  Be well!  Frantz

Curt Miller
      Participant

Had a quick trade this week that resulted in an immediate loss.  Posting it here for post trade feedback.  I bought SFM thinking it was a breakout and BUA of a downward sloping trading range.  I liked the breakout of the trend channel and the rising volume out of the range.  My stop loss was $24.75 and was hit the next day after taking the trade.  In retrospect it looks like the wide bodied bar on 6/29 did not commit above the prior swing high of 26.05 and it was on weaker volume to boot.  Feedback would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Frantz Herr

Skout makes a good point about continuing to educate ourselves.  I enjoy studying his charts!  Practice is essential to improvement.  I love the opportunity to study a chart.  Here is my analysis of SFM.   I like to start with a higher time frame chart (weekly) to get a good idea of context; it helps to understand what is occurring in the lower time frame (daily).  I also do a P&F study when I am analyzing a stock to add to my own portfolio to get an idea of potential price targets.  I didn’t do one for SFM, but if the stock can begin to trend, there is quite a large Cause built.  Thanks again for the opportunity to practice my chart analysis!

Frantz Herr

SFM daily.  BTW, I wasn’t aware of the different bar colors you are using in Stockcharts.com (the SPX window at the top of your chart).  That is cool.

Curt Miller
            Participant

I really appreciate your feedback Frantz!  I agree the weekly chart looks like SFM is building a cause for much higher prices.  Your chart shows a more flat trading range on the daily chart as opposed to the downward sloping range that I had.  One of the things I struggle with is how to define the borders of a trading range.  Do you have any suggestions on how to approach this?

Frantz Herr

Curt, when I first studied Wyckoff with Roman I was fascinated by the TR structure and the Phase labeling.  I remember Roman telling me to focus on Supply and Demand in one of the classes.  It took me a while to figure out why he said that.  As you can see, I now spell them with capital letters.  It is important to define the boundaries of a TR, but it is critical to understand volume and price and the message they convey about Supply and Demand.  They reveal where support and resistance reside.  I am getting better at it.  It takes lots of practice!  Keep studying, it will all come together for you!  Frantz

skoutasg
        Participant

Curt:  Humbly, may I recommend the outstanding courses on this site.  You must think like a Wyckoffian.  Personally, the Wyckoffian method is the only method that will give you a fighting chance against the big guys.  I am not a fan of using candle bars or chart patterns because the smart money will use them against you.  Therefore, you must think like the smart money to have a fighting chance.  This method is not foolproof, however, since the smart money is not the smart money for nothing.  They can often paint a picture that will fool you into acting against your interests, so patience is the key.  Best of luck in your journey.

Curt Miller
          Participant

Thanks Skout!  I am already on board the Wyckoff bandwagon.  It makes a lot of sense to me logically, however I have not optimized my skills yet.  I just finished the WTC 1 class this past week and plan on taking the WTC 2 practicum class in the fall.

MrktWzrd
      Participant

what do you guys think of HRL  ? looks like something is in the making  ( HRL against XLP)

Attachments:
        MrktWzrd
        Participant

taking a closer look at HRL  looks like some kind of absorbtion

after the buying climax , the rally testing the climax high at point C avergae to high volume indictaing that buyers are still in teh market..

the correction from point C to point D we have an increase in volume and price rejects the 50% level ie. buyers are stepping in again (SOS)

same is happening on point E volume increases and the 50% retr. level holds again after that we have a series of higher lows and some sort of compression towards the highs

indicating a breakout to the upside ? .. what do you guys think ?

Attachments:
          Frantz Herr

Frantz Herr

Here’s a current chart of HRL’s industry group fyi

skoutasg
          Participant

Nice call.  Looks like price it is concluding a reaccumulation phase with price now heading up (under distribution, 3rd and final phase of a reaccumulation).  Confirmed on my intraday and weekly charts.  What is your price target assuming a safe exit from this phase?  My target price is $55.80 so not much of a margin of safety to warrant a long-term play as it now stands.  Swing traders may think otherwise.  Wyckoffians need a breakout above $51.53 to peak further interest albeit with no margin of safety?  IMHO.

Z1839
      Participant

I wanted to clarify two questions I had on volume in general:

1. Does a volume bar show the number of sellers in that trade period (the 1 candle?) or the total volume of stocks held by the market.

2. I know that for testing supply and demand, a long wick on the respective side with low volume, lower than the previous 2 volumes is a positive test. I’ve heard from some people that a higher volume than the two previous with a long wick is a better signal. Any thoughts?>

Frantz Herr

Hi Z, sorry for the lull in dialogue.  1 Each volume bar is the total number of shares (assuming it’s a stock) traded during the time period of the bar.  For each share traded there is a buyer and a seller.  2 A long tail or wick generally indicates an unsuccessful intention to move price in the direction the tail or wick is pointing.  There’s a lot more to it, though.  What is the context?  I like how you use brackets on your charts to isolate behavior.  You are on the right track.

Might I suggest playing a few of the Bias Games on this website?  Don’t look at the solution before attempting it yourself.  Imagine you are about to make a trade.  Then look at the solution to see where your interpretation is correct and where you might have missed a clue.  There are 50+ of them.  It’s a great way to develop your chart reading skills!

Z1839
          Participant

Wow, I was not aware of the bias games. I will definitely check them out

skoutasg
      Participant

Dow Futures Intraday:  In distribution or reaccumulation?  Take your pick.

Attachments:
      skoutasg
      Participant

Is Gold Futures ready for markup after a lengthy accumulation phase?

Attachments:
        Frantz Herr

Is absorption occurring here?  Looks that way, but I still need to see price commit above resistance of the TR defined by the BC and start living there.  Gold’s seasonality favors that occurring.

Viewing 51 reply threads