Product Catalog The Complete Guide Free Materials Tools for Trading
join-popup-image

Receive all the latest news from Wyckoff Analytics! Weekly notifications about upcoming events, as well as market updates, newly posted articles and videos, delivered straight to your inbox.

By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: Wyckoff Associates, LLC, 5432 Geary Blvd, #292, San Francisco, CA, 94121, http://wyckoffanalytics.com. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact

Wyckoff Analytics is committed to protecting your privacy. We do not sell, lease or otherwise provide your personal information to anyone, ever. You can unsubscribe at any time from this list.

Henry O. Pruden Certificate
of Proficiency in the Wyckoff Method
Please complete the information below
And let us know what classes you have taken:
5 MANDATORY COURSES
3 ELECTIVE COURSES
Wyckoff Market Discussion (3+ months) - Use Once
A Detailed Look Into Springboards
Back-Testing/Validating Trading Plan (2017)
Beyond Springs And Upthrusts
Improving Your Wyckoff Swing Trading Results
Intraday Trading Using The Wyckoff Method
Long-Term Campaigns and Tactical Swing Trades
Momentum, Volume And Price Structure
Point-and-Figure Part III
Practices For Successful Trading
Scan For Success Part 1
Scan For Success Part 2
Swing Trading Using The Wyckoff Method
Trading Technical Analysis Signals
Trust the Process Part 1
Trust the Process Part 2
Upgrading Your Trading Plan (2018)
Scan For Success Part 1
Scan For Success Part 2
Trust the Process Part 1
Trust the Process Part 2
Scan For Success Part 1
Scan For Success Part 2
Trust the Process Part 1
Trust the Process Part 2
SUCCESS
Your information has been submitted

CRYPTO AND WYCKOFF ANALYSIS

The Wyckoff Method is an excellent tool to analyze crypto assets. Post your crypto idea here – Bitcoin, altcoins or crypto derivatives – and discuss it with the Wyckoff Nation. Both historical charts and current analysis are welcome. Share your thoughts, every chart is an opportunity to improve your tape reading skills!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Alessio Rutigliano

The Wyckoff Crypto Report vol. 23 is out, you can read it here:

https://www.wyckoffanalytics.com/wyckoff-crypto-report-vol-23/

Topics: Bitcoin. Nasdaq. 4D Analysis

Bitcoin. Intraday 4HR

ChainLink (LINK) vs Nasdaq.

ETHBTC: Rotation.

A special request: TRX analysis

Enjoy,

Alessio

baduwu
        Participant

Hi teacher, I really like your analysis, although my English is not very good, but I still follow it every week, please ask why there is no update this week

Attachments:
          Alessio Rutigliano

Hi baduwu, thanks for following us. Last week I was preparing  a presentation for the TSAA-SF. Tomorrow the Wyckoff Crypto Report will be published as usual. I have seen the screenshot that you have uploaded, good labeling, however the big downbar labeled as UTAD could be a SOS too. I will discuss this scenario tomorrow in the report. In the meanwhile, here’s a screenshot from today’s price action: as you can see, the big downbar has not committed below the low of the previous upbar. High effort to the downside (high volume), low result to the downside (no commitment below the low of the previous bar).  This price action suggests that buyers are still dominant for now. For this reason, the best tactic is waiting for the test of the supply and act on the confirmation.  I will explain this in detail tomorrow as usual, stay tuned!

baduwu
            Participant

Thanks for sharing, I was very hungry to read up on it when it was first posted and here are my thoughts.
            We know that after a weakness signal in price (this includes BC, UT and double K reversals), it won’t go too far unless Strong volume breaking through resistance. I see a decline on every rise, and in the down wave, volume is significantly higher than in the up wave, although showing some absorption signs, but overall still supply is negating the demand effort.
            At the same time I find it confusing that when I’m communicating wyckoff with friends, each person’s analysis comes up with different results.
            I’m using translation software, and in case the meaning is ambiguous, I thought I’d upload a picture to get the point across better.

Attachments:
      Alessio Rutigliano

The Wyckoff Crypto Report vol. 22 is out, you can read it here:

https://www.wyckoffanalytics.com/wyckoff-crypto-report-vol-22/

Topics: Bitcoin. Nasdaq. 4D Analysis

Bitcoin. Intraday 4HR

ChainLink (LINK) vs Nasdaq. Tactics

ChainLink (LINK) Bullish scenario. Confirming count

Ethereum (ETHUSD) 4h. Spread charts

Comparative analysis Exercise

Enjoy,

Alessio

Drag0nflai
        Participant

Hi Alessio, thanks for another excellent weekly report. The LENDBTC spread chart is interesting. I have a few questions about micro caps.

1. There are so many crypto assets on the market. How do you keep track of the best performing crypto asset?

2. I haven’t had any success trading micros in the past as they are extremely volatile and most of them also only trade against ETH and BTC which could translate into exponential losses in dollar terms.  Do you have any risk management suggestions you can share with us regarding micro trading and which exchange other than Binance do you recommend is a good platform to use?

3. What is your selection criteria for deciding which crypto you will or will not trade e.g. do you use filters taking into consideration of liquidity, fundamentals (i.e. what is the function of the crypto and user adoption etc)?

Alessio Rutigliano

Hi Drag0nflai, good questions.

You always want to look for the asset with the best relative strength.  Here is a screenshot with some material that I am preparing for a free Wyckoff Event on Cryptos in late June. Screeners are very useful to identy micro caps. Bitscreener is a good platform that I have used in the past, I recommend it. Generally, it’s a good habit to restrict your universe to the top 100 capitalization cryptos. Crypto assets on Binance and Huobi, FTX have good liquidity.

We will cover this topic in the next reports, stay tuned!

Drag0nflai
            Participant

Hi Alessio, thanks for your weekly report once again and thanks for responding to my question. I have also used Bitscreener. It’s good. I am not a paid Stockchart member. Is the gallery view of the major cap charts freely available on Stockchart.com? Your trading plan looks good. I look forward to reading more on this topic in the next report. Apart from relative strength analysis, I am interested in your thoughts on risk management with regard to trading micros.

In terms of the broad market overview, I also look at the COT report/chart and use this site: https://www.tradingster.com/cot/futures/fin/133741. Since the March sell-off, CME open interest climbed to an all time high a couple of weeks ago. It’s fallen back a little since.

Alessio Rutigliano

The Wyckoff Crypto Report vol. 21 is out, you can read it here:

https://www.wyckoffanalytics.com/wyckoff-crypto-report-vol-21/

THIS WEEK:

4D view. Bitcoin and S&P

Long term accumulation. The Wyckoff Story

Daily Perspective.  Bar by bar analysis

Trading diary. Supply-absorption-feather-acceleration

Historical analogs. 2017. Bitcoin and the”exogenous” shock (request by Dragon0flai)

Enjoy,

Alessio

JaneL
        Participant

Thanks for giving us more details on the feather pattern. I also very much enjoyed learning from your Trading Diary and the 2017 analog. Another great report, thank you! The ability to read the subtle changes of the volume signature in conjunction with price actions is something I am still learning. In the recent Anatomy of a Trade vid (#33 Gold). Roman spoke about the characteristics of horizontal and vertical absorption and how volume signature may look like in these two 2 types of absorption patterns (around 15:30 into the vid). I thought that was great. Do you or Franz have the volume signature schematics for the different accumulation and distribution phases you could share with us?

This might be a silly question. Volume indicator bars in most charting software (I use TradingView) usually are coloured based on if a candle is closed up or down. As we know, the volume indicator captures the volume traded on the given timeframe. Green volume bar doesn’t necessarily mean demand and red doesn’t just mean supply. I am a bit confused about how to assess the supply and demand dynamics looking at the volume indicator. Could you or Franz shed some light on this for me?

Alessio Rutigliano

Hi Jane, buyers and sellers are present on each bar. On a very simplistic basis, supply is dominant on a downbar, demand is dominant on an upbar. However, single bars are like the letters of a word in a sentence, or the notes of a melody. A single letter or a single note does not have a meaning. It’s only when you listen that note in the context of a melody, that note acquires a real meaning. Your brain instantly analyze the relationships between that note and the other notes that form the whole melody.

In the same way, when we study demand and supply, we analyze the “relationships” between the  bars. Our parameters are: the spread of the bar, the position of the close, the volume. Look at the example below. On the left hand side of the chart we see a big downbar on high volume. Looking at this single bar, we can say that sellers and buyers were very active, and sellers were dominant. However, it’s only when we put this bar in the context (right hand side of the picture below) that we extract the information. In this case, volume increases on the second bar (effort to the downside increases) but the result to the downside is poor. There is a hidden force on that bar that limits the price to go down more. Buyers were active on that bar. The next two bars confirms our suspect.

Ps. I strongly recommend to watch for free the first lesson of the Wyckoff Trading Course:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E_GzBipPrs

JaneL
            Participant

Hi Alessio, thanks for responding to my question. You explained it very clearly and well. I really appreciate how you provide examples/case studies when answering questions. Thanks also for another excellent weekly report. I will definitely check out the Wyckoff Trading Course video.

Frantz Herr

Hi Alessio, can you recommend a primer on the mechanics of how to buy and sell cryptocurrencies please?  Thanks.  Last week Paul Tudor Jones was quoted comparing crypto to gold in the 1970’s.  A big successful hedge fund manager talking up crypto is bound to attract more institutional attention to the asset.  Thanks for your great reports!

Alessio Rutigliano

Hi Frantz,

thanks for reading! I  agree with you, Paul Tudor Jones’s public endorsement for Bitcoin is very interesting.

As for your question, I would recommend Kraken.com for US-based traders. It’s a San Francisco based crypto exchange founded in 2011. Simple interface and good liquidity. https://www.kraken.com/

Here is a ten minutes video tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgpvBifKkgM

Instead, if you are interested in the OTC market,  Grayscale is a very big player in the space and offers three instruments: GBTC (Bitcoin Trust), ETHE (Ethereum Trust) and ETCG (Ethereum Classic Trust).

Frantz Herr

Thanks Alessio!

Alessio Rutigliano

The Wyckoff Crypto Report vol. 20 is out, you can read it here:

https://www.wyckoffanalytics.com/wyckoff-crypto-report-vol-20/

THIS WEEK:

3D view. Bitcoin and S&P

Daily Perspective.  Bar by bar analysis

Relative Strength Ratio Bitcoin : S&P. Breakout of the downtrend channel.

Bitcoin Point and Figure analysis

Ethereum – Bitcoin. Institutional Profit taking.

…and a new crypto exercise for intraday crypto traders. The solution is in the blog.

Enjoy,

Alessio

Attachments:
        JaneL
        Participant

Excellent analysis, thank you Alessio. I would also like to see more relative strength bias games and learn more about RS analysis and scanning techniques.

Alessio Rutigliano

Thank you, Jane. Relative strength is extremely important in the crypto space. I will publish more examples of comparative analysis in the next Crypto Reports. Thanks again for your suggestions.

Alessio

Drag0nflai
        Participant

Hi Alessio, love the bias game. The relative strength analysis you marked out on the 4 hour intraday charts is gold. I have a question re [6] on the XBTUSD chart, you wrote: “Supply comes in again on the same level, but the result is slightly better. A bullish feather confirms the absorption is in play.” I have not come across bullish feather as a candle or chart pattern before. Are you referring to the series of low spread bars pushing up against resistance with diminishing volume? Could you please tell us more about the bullish feather and any other pre breakout absorption patterns (incl. volume profile) to look out for? Thanks!

Drag0nflai
          Participant

I just read through a few previous posts and found Frantz Herr’s post on April 5. The points from David Weis’ book ‘Trades About to Happen’ summarize the pre breakout absorption patterns extremely well. Do you have anything to add? The only other signal I can think of is a recent past fake out indicating strong price rejection at the other extreme (e.g. a spring in the support zone of the trading range).

Alessio Rutigliano

Hi Drag0nflai, glad you enjoyed the RS analysis.

Feathers are powerful continuation patterns, however it’s extremely important to be sure that the”background” of the absorption is bullish.  Sometimes price can show signs of temporary absorption after selling has occurred. In these cases, the feather pattern pushes prices back to the area where selling has previously occurred, but then fail. The rally sponsored by “weak hands”  fails to commit above the specific area where selling has occurred. Let’s see this example from the current market. At point [1], we see a classic feather. Absorption is present at point [2] as well (HLs on decreasing volume), however you have to focus on what has happened on the bar preceeding the feather. Look at the heavy selling that preceeds the absorption pattern at [2]. There is definitely selling in the background., at least in the short term. Absorption takes place, but what’s the result? Price is not able to close above the significant level indicated by the dotted line (the upper half of the big downbar where selling has taken place).  Thank you for reading,

Alessiofeather

Drag0nflai
              Participant

Thanks Alessio, excellent example. Yes I agree that the recent price action signals a change of character and the importance of analysing any patterns in the larger context.

I have been reflecting on what you wrote about the ETHBTC chart – “The spread chart Ethereum / Bitcoin is a good indicator of the “speculative” sentiment of the market. When a distributional pattern is spot on the ETHBTC chart, institutions have locked in their profits, anticipating some short term weakness”. I found that when a rally is coming to a point of exhaustion, alts in general (incl. ETH) may either take a much sharper fall than BTC or they may continue their parabolic run when the Alt/BTC spread continue to rise depending on the risk sentiment in the market. In the former case, usually the prior move up is more measured with possibly greater institutional participation (e.g. in the 2019 rally from early April to June after recovery from a prolonged downtrend). In the latter scenario, there is often over exuberance demonstrated by micro caps going parabolic; Fear & Greed index showing a high level of greed and futures basis reaching a historical high (e.g. at the market top in Dec 2017 and more recently in Feb 2020).  In this second scenario, alts & micro caps can continue to go up outperforming Bitcoin until the BTCUSD distribution TR well and truely breaks down. Considering that global stock markets are going into a risk-off mode at the end of last week; the BTC fear & greed index never went into the greed territory in the recent run up and futures basis stayed low, it is likely that alt coins will take a sharper fall than BTC if the correction continues. I will be keeping an eye on the BTC dominance chart.

The question is how to express this view. It would be great to hear your thoughts on this. I am thinking either short the ALT0626 futures contract or put on a ALT0626/BTC0626 short spread.  Do you take pairs and calendar spread trades? The other alts in the ALT index seem to be weaker than ETH. This is why I am considering to short ALT.

Alessio Rutigliano

Great observation as usual. Rotation and relative strength is a hot topic, I’m thinking of writing more and more material on this.  My personal preference is to incorporates spread trades as a tactical tool into a comprehensive strategy. Let’s consider the case of the last week. You have 3 kinds of positions at the same time:

– a big, long term long position in Bitcoin opened near the March lows. You simply raise the stop loss until a Change of Character breaks the uptrend. Winner

– small size intraday positions. You see a low risk point entry on the intraday and you ty to  catch it right away.  On the intraday level, you have to accept more frequent break even trades and small losses. It’s a part of the game. Low risk is the key. Always pick the outperformer. Long the stronger asset, short the weaker asset. Think of Relative strenght / Comparative analysis as a filter that increases your profits on winners and reduces your losses on the losers.

-When you spot clear accumulation / distribution patterns on spread charts too, you can consider a small ALTBTC position that work as a hedge. Let’s say that you were short term bearish last week. Altcoins were definitely underperforming. The ETHBTC had a distributional formation at III. The distributional formation suggested us that in the bearish case the selloff will be heavier for ETH. If Bitcoin continues to the upside, ETH would continue to underperform. A win / win situation.  Let’s come back to your portfolio now. The first position (long term bull on Bitcoin) is in profit. On the intraday, you have a break even / small loss.  In this case, an ALTBTC short has worked as a “hedge”.

Ps. The circled rally on the ETHBTC shows now a Change of Character. Let’s see if a “cause” forms on the Relative Strength chart.

Drag0nflai
              Participant

Hi Alessio, thank you for your detailed reply and another excellent weekly report. The opportunistic tactics/intraday trading diary and the historical analogue are both gems, so is the supply-absorption-feather-acceleration pattern details.

Early last week, I opened both an ALT0627 short (I trade futures on FTX) and a ALT/BTC spread position, experimenting with different strategies. I agree with what you said. In fact as I have a long term bullish view for Bitcoin, I have a long term position that I add to at market sell-offs e.g. at the March low and 2 days ago (only small amounts at a time). I plan to only liquidate my long term position if there is a shift in the macro fundamentals. My objective for taking spread trades is to generate some profits to lower the cost base of my long term position. The ALT naked short is more of a hedge as it hedges part of my long term position. I can’t see how the ALTBTC short could work as a hedge.

Retrospectively, when I went through the most liquid alt futures on FTX, I realised the best relative strength play would have been BCHBTC short, taking the entry shortly after the BCH halving event in April when the technical setup presented opportunities. I had a BSVBTC short about 1.5 weeks ago but took profit too soon. Also I did not quite come to the right conclusion when assessing the alt coin relative strength. I have a long way to go with regard to entry/exit timing and relative strength analysis. Look forward to learning more from you and the Wyckoff community.

Alessio Rutigliano

Here is the continuation of the “feather” discussion we had last week. I have included this material in the new Crypto Report.

Alessio Rutigliano

The Wyckoff Crypto report vol 19 is out

Wyckoff Crypto Report vol 19

Topics: The big picture. Bitcoin and S&P

Daily Perspective. Tactics

Relative Strength Ratio Bitcoin : S&P

ChainLink, the leader. Daily Perspective. Point and Figure analysis

ChainLink. Intraday tactics. A simple trade. Trading diary

Intraday Point and Figure analysis..a little preview

Enjoy,

Alessio

Drag0nflai
        Participant

Thanks for another great report, Alessio. Each report is highly informative, enjoyable and educational. I have been checking the relative strength of BTC against Gold and alt coins but it hasn’t occurred to me to check BTC/SPX RS. Bitcoin price in the recent months has been reacting to the risk trend. The BTC/S&P spread chart is at an interesting junction. Will certainly be keeping an eye on it.

Alessio Rutigliano

Thank you, Drag0nflai! This week we have seen finally a breakout of the downtrend channel on the relative strength ratio. A retest as a higher low would be very promising. Interesting times for crypto traders.

thitganuong
        Participant

I saw btc channel like this bias game. Accumulate pattern…

Alessio Rutigliano

Great observation, absorption on the way up is a tricky pattern, but very important in the crypto space. Thank you for your comment, I will post Crypto Bias Games in the next weeks!

Alessio Rutigliano

Fellow Wyckoffians, the Wyckoff Crypto report vol 18 is out

https://www.wyckoffanalytics.com/wyckoff-crypto-report-vol-18/

Topics: The big picture. Bitcoin and S&P, a game of chess

Daily Perspective. Tactics, tactics, tactics.

Short term scenario. The bearish camp

The absorption scenario

ChainLink, the leader. Daily Perspective.

ChainLink. Intraday tactics. A simple trade.

Enjoy,

Alessio

Alessio Rutigliano

Fellow Wyckoffians, the Wyckoff Crypto report vol 17 is out

https://www.wyckoffanalytics.com/wyckoff-crypto-report-vol-17/

Topics: Bitcoin and S&P. Big Picture, Weekly Timeframe. Daily Perspective. Bitcoin and S&P

The 1998 Bottom Analog

Short term rotation.

Relative strength ratio on steroids. Wyckoff analysis on spread charts.

Feel free to write your questions here!

Enjoy,

Alessio

Alessio Rutigliano

The Wyckoff Crypto report vol 16 is out!

https://www.wyckoffanalytics.com/wyckoff-crypto-report-vol-16/

Bitcoin 4D, S&P; 2 Scenarios, Intraday Trading. MOVE Volatility Contracts. A question from a reader.

Enoy,

Alessio

Frantz Herr

Really enjoyed reading your report Alessio!  The 2 scenarios reminded me of David Weis’ clues to a successful absorption from his book ‘Trades About to Happen’:

“These clues point to a successful absorption of overhead selling:

•Rising supports (HL’s).
        •Volume increases around the top of the absorption area.
        •Lack of downward follow-through after a threatening price bar.
        •At the right-hand side of an absorption area, prices tend to press against the resistance line without giving ground.
        •In some instances, the absorption phase is resolved by a spring.
        •Minor up-thrusts during absorption fail to produce a breakdown.”

I’ll be following this chart with great interest this week!

Alessio Rutigliano

Thank you for your comment Frantz, I am a great fan of David Weis’ Trades About to Happen.  I love the pages where he carefully analyze monthly and weekly charts. So many things become clear when you zoom out and take a birds-eye view.

In the new report I analyze the short term bearish scenario. Looking at the whole crypto market, many assets have reached the resistance, a sign that the current buying wave is probably exhausted. There is room for another small push to the upside, especially for micro caps, indeed, but the current rally is probably just the beginning (phase A- early B) of a much bigger and complex range structure. I am following the structural analog with the S&P in 1998. Thanks for reading, Frantz!

juuvvy
          Participant

this is looking more bearish and bearish to me, considering that rejection off the 4hr capitulation candle.

would you agree with my labeling of PSY?

Attachments:
            Alessio Rutigliano

Hi Juuvvy, there are two ways to label the price action. You can label it as a BC of the local range at the top of the formation ($5600-7350 area) if you think that the current price action is absorption. If you think that the current range is still at the beginning, that could be labelled as a Upthust in phase B. Here is a quick screenshot with both scenarios and labelling:

Alessio Rutigliano

The Weekly Crypto Report vol. 15 is out! Here is the link:  https://www.wyckoffanalytics.com/wyckoff-crypto-report-vol-15/

Enjoy!

Alessio

juuvvy
        Participant

ok so i looked at spot exchanges across the board. supply is NOT present in the lower time frames. super low selling. i think $8k is more probable now.

juuvvy
        Participant

looks like it got really close to the 7350 target… what are you thoughts now? to the downside to $5k or more up, to $8k+?

daily chart had a long wick to the upside, it closed green but the presence of supply has presented itself.

Alessio Rutigliano

7350 is no doubt the most important supply level right now [1]. Supply has emerged right now [3], but  we have to closely follow the price action, it could be absorbed again. Price action is correlated to the market. If the S&P will retests the lows, it’s likely that we will see some selling pressure on Bitcoin as well. If volatility continues to contract, we can break the top.That breakout would validate the bullish scenario (big shakeout on the daily and absorptionon the way up). At this spot, intraday trading could be subjected to whipsaws. However, a small loss on the intraday would trigger a signal on the bigger timeframe. The Crypto Report will be out today, I will define our strategy there. Thank you for following us!

juuvvy
            Participant

that chart is why i think this whole range is re-accumulation

juuvvy
            Participant

this is what i’m seeing-

Attachments:
              Alessio Rutigliano

it’s a possible scenario, juuvy. Just finished writing the report, I have covered both scenarios. Personally, I think that even though supply is exhausted, we need a quality demand push to overcame the resistance. But the alternative scenario that you have illustrated is definitely possible. Almost fifty-fifty for me, next week will be crucial. Keep up posting your analysis here, your posts are always welcome.

Alessio Rutigliano

The Weekly Crypto Report vol 14 is ready! Hope you enjoy the new web format.

This week: Bitcoin 4D,.Daily, Intraday. Intraday tactics for swing traders, enjoy the volatility. Rotation. Ethereum 4D. Your questions: Halving and long term accumulation

You can find the report here:

https://www.wyckoffanalytics.com/wyckoff-crypto-report-vol-14/

Enjoy,

Alessio

rotageht
        Participant

Thanks for the great analysis

Alessio Rutigliano

Thanks for reading!

Viewing 19 reply threads